I have an amazing partner Chris, he is 34 years old - he is my rock & has stood by me through thick & thin . . . one could not ask for better (even if he is a nerd!! :o) ) His mom & dad are Mauritian, he is a solutions architect in the IT industry. I also have a 2 year old son, Miguel - who surprises & amazes me & makes me strive to be a better person every day!!
I was 7 years in the travel industry (4 as a travel agent & 3 with a tour operator in the Inbound department - this means that I brought them into SA and not sent them out!!). I am now a stay @ home mom & still not used to it, I must admit something .. I now have a very large new found respect for my mom, she was a stay home mom of two, in countries where she could not speak the language! My amazing moms name is Mirta, she is Argentinian & is incredibly supportive & creative, she has a lovely accent - just like Selma Hayek. My Dad name is Tony and he is from Southern Ireland& he has been the steady rock in my life (though I'm sure that is where I get my very calm Irish temper from). I have a sister - Geraldine, who is a whizz at Coral Draw & does the most innovative designs with invitations.
I love digital scrap booking, photography (I'm sure my son thinks that he is someone famous with his own personal paparazzi) & I will devour ... sorry read anything by Terry Pratchett. I love my home & I am doing it up little by little. I think that it reflects who we are as a family, it is filled with photos of places & us, our families & friends - I am sure that strangers to our home think that we are the vainest people that they have met.
UNUSUAL FACTS ABOUT SOUTH AFRICA :
- The Kruger National Park nature reserve supports the greatest variety of wildlife species on the African continent. It is roughly the size of Wales, or the state of Massachusetts (USA), which makes it the eighth largest reserve in the world.
- Table Mountain in Cape Town is one of the seven wonders of the geological world. Standing at just over 1000 metres, it dominates the city's skyline. Table Mountain can be seen as far as 200 kilometres out to sea.
- The world's best land-based whale-watching spot is located in Hermanus, Western Cape.
- South Africa is one of only 12 countries where tap water is safe to drink. Its tap water is rated the third best worldwide.
- Seal Island in False Bay is the only place in the world where Great Whites consistently breach (leap completely out of the water) to catch their prey, mainly seals. It also boasts the highest frequency of Great White shark attacks in the world.
I wanted to add this from my favourite author Terry Pratchett from the book Truth . . . perhaps it will chnge your way of thinking !!
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!"